Serena is just the perfect fucking girl power idol
- She is girly and goofy and giggly
- She gets bad grades and loves shopping and video games and eating and taking naps and boys
- She’s a crybaby loser who’s scared of everything and never takes anything seriously
- And the whole show is her learning to find strength within herself and discovering that she’s capable of more than she could have ever imagined.
- And she’s balanced out by these kick-ass friends who support her and love her and contradict her and who are 1000% ready to smack her around when she needs it.
- We talk a lot in fandom about female representation and the false perfection of female characters who reject stereotypical “girliness” and who are tough and independent and always strong. And we recognize that those characters are important and valuable and raise the bar for female archetypes. But that characterization is restrictive and fails to allow for women to be both ultra girly AND tough, total limp noodles AND capable of rising to meet a challenge.
- And Sailor Moon has other female characters who are just as complexly designed as Serena but who are very different women — Amy is reserved and super smart, Rei is temperamental and aggressive, Lita is tough and strong and independent but capable of being soft and sensitive.
- These characters are just so complex and wonderful and this show just GUSHES girl power and it makes me all mooshy.